The Civil War in the Real West
Because a number of people are unaware that the Civil War extended as far west as New Mexico and Arizona, we are featuring a number of books that examine the exploits of those soldiers who fought in what is now the Southwestern United States.We hope you enjoy our selection of books about The Civil War in the American West.
Guidon Books is pleased to present a monthly discussion group on Civil War topics. There are no fees or dues, just a willingness to read and discuss the monthly topic in a friendly setting. Meeting location is Guidon Books, 7109 E. 2nd Street, downtown Scottsdale @ 6:30 pm
The Civil War Discussion Group is ready for the Fall. We are changing the meeting dates to follow the Scottsdale Civil War Round Table Speakers and our topics will tend to follow the presentations.
Please stop by for a visit.
All Scottsdale Civil War Round Table members receive a 10% discount
- SOLD Baylor, George Wythe. John Robert Baylor: Confederate Governor of Arizona. Edited with an introdution by Odie B. Faulk. Limited to 500 copies. Arizona Pioneers' Historical Society, 1966. Blue cloth. $30.00
- SOLD Colton, Ray C. The Civil War in the Western Territories:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah. 1st edition. University of
Oklahoma Press, 1959. Dust jacket. $50.00
- SOLD Confederate Victories in the Southwest: Prelude to Defeat - From the Official Records. Edited by the publishers. Companion volume to Union Army Operations in the Southwest. Limited to 900 copies. Previous library copy with limited markings, inside front endsheet torn. Horn & Wallace, 1961. Gray cloth. $45.00
- SOLD Grinstead, Marion Cox. Destiny at Valverde: The Life and Death of Alexander McRae. Biography of one soldier at this New Mexico battlefield. Historical Society of New Mexico and Socorro Historical Society, 1993. Brown wraps. $25.00
- SOLD "Guide to Fort Union." Fort Union National Monument,
New Mexico. 5th edition. Southwestern Monuments Association, c. 1967. Wraps.
- SOLD Hall, Martin Hardwick. The Confederate Army of New Mexico. A history of Sibley's New Mexico campaign with rosters of the individua units. 1st edition. Presidial Press, 1978. Dust jacket. $85.00
- SOLD Hall, Martin Hardwick. Sibley's New Mexico Campaign.
New revised edition with foreword by Jerry Thompson. University of New
Mexico Press, 2000. Dust jacket. $38.50
- SOLD Hatch, Thom. The Blue, the Gray, & the Red: Indian Campaigns of the Civil War. Dedicated to solely chronicling the numerous campaigns waged against the Indians in the American West during the Civil War. 1st edition. Stackpole Books, 2003. Dust jacket. $40.00
- Katcher, Philip. Lethal Glory: Dramatic Defeats of the
Civil War. One chapter on the campaign in New Mexico, pp 73-87.
Dust jacket. $24.95 *
- SOLD Rathbun, Daniel C. B. Nevada Military Place Names of the
Indian Wars and Civil War. A comprehensive picture of military action
in Nevada, with each entry telling a story adding meaning and life to remove
landscapes. Yucca Tree Press, 2002. Soft cover. $12.00
- SOLD Rittenhouse, Jack D., comp. New Mexico Civil War Bibliography 1861-1865: An Annotated Checklist of Books & Pamphlets. Keepsake given by Rittenhouse at his Stagecoach Press. A limited first printing done especially for the annual banquet for 1960 of the Historical Society of New Mexico, with the addition of a loose card announcing the event. Stagecoach Press, 1960. Yellow wraps. $75.00
- SOLD Scott,
Robert. Glory Glory Glorieta: The Gettysburg of the West. Story of the battle of Glolrieta Pass, covering the political, economic, and military aspects of Confederate strategy as well the personalities involved. Johnson Books, 1992. Dust jacket. $30.00
- SOLD Union Army Operations in the Southwest: Final Victory - From the Official Records. Edited by Calvin Horn and William Wallace. First hand reports of the Union victories in the Southwest, including the battle at Glorieta. Companion volume to Confederate Victories in the Southwest. Limited edition. Previous owner's name on front endsheet. Horn & Wallace, 1961. Dust jacket. $50.00
- SOLD Whitford, William C. Colorado Volunteers in the Civil War: The New Mexico Campaign in 1862. Discusses the fight in Apache Canon. Illustrated. 1st edition. Denver State Historical and Natural History Society, 1906. Gray stiff wraps. $65.00 *
- SOLD Whitford, William C.
The Battle of Glorieta Pass: The Colorado Volunteers in the Civil War.
Reprint with additional material. Rio Grande Press, 1991. Wraps.
- SOLD Wright, Arthur A. The Civil War in the Southwest. A scholarly and complete coverage of the war in Arizona and New Mexico, including an account of the recruitment of the California Volunteers. 1st edition. Big Mountain Press, 1964. Dust jacket. $75.00 *